29 September 2006

someone must like me

As you already know, I am constantly playing goalie for bullshit, it’s a full-time job. That was not the case Thursday afternoon. Someone must have been looking out for me. I had a luncheon/awards show Thursday for the professionals’ organization I belong to. I had to leave early and get back to the office before class that night. I’m waiting on the corner of LaSalle and Grand in front of Maggiano’s, for my car, when it happened. I saw him and I couldn’t even believe my eyes. I saw Charlie (part 1 & part 2), I didn’t even take a seconded look, I took a third and a forth. There he was coming my way. I stood frozen in time. When I looked up and saw him coming he was just halfway across the street, it felt like it was taking him forever to even reach me. I think, no, I know he tried to play it off. He smiled at me and barely turned to acknowledge me. Just then the valet pulled up with my car. He stopped, there were awkward jesters made, do we kiss? Hug? What? Conversation was brief, hi how are you?

Then I just walked away, got my keys and drove off. I was shaking. I was such a wreck; I didn’t have anyone to call (at least that was immediately available). Once I got back to Michigan Ave. I lit a cigarette. I was freaking back all five minutes back to the office. I went through the garage, security, pit stop at Starbuck’s. I sat my coffee down and went into the bathroom. I stood there in front of the mirror, and then it hit me. For once that did not go that bad. At least not as bad as I was replaying it in my head, I had to step out of myself for a moment. When I did I realized a few things, I was well put together, my hair was down, I had on makeup, earrings, heels and I happened to be driving a new car, that was purchased about a month after Charlie and I ended. At that moment I knew that for once someone was looking out for me this time. All my ducks (at least to him) appeared to be in a row. Score one for me! Then I went back to my desk to write him an email, I had deleted his info, so I sent a message to about three different emails, saying, “It was great seeing you this afternoon.” I spent the rest of the afternoon working. Sitting in class that night I was texting a few friends, I looked to answer a message and it was from Charlie. Surprised? More than you can guess. I never got an email response, but I did get something. (My name), hi nice to see you today, I hope things are going well, would love to talk this weekend. I’m still speechless and have not responded back yet. I guess its time for me to publish no. 9 Charlie (part 3).

As far as what the next step is I don't have a damn clue.

No comments: